AO Summer School
Travel Reimbursement

Reimbursement Information for Grads/Postdocs (attending a University of California) and Invited Speakers / Lab Staff

Transportation expenses will be reimbursed based on the most economical mode of transportation. Original receipts are required and no package deals will be accepted.

• For those flying: we will reimburse round trip airfare (within the state of California) and the cost of ground transportation from the airport to Santa Cruz (students: airport shuttles only). You are expected to find the most inexpensive flight & ground transportation so please book early.

• For those driving to UC Santa Cruz: we will reimburse 50¢ per mile, up to the cost of an equivalent airfare ticket. Please calculate the mileage online (google maps, mapquest, etc.) for your round trip and submit this with your post travel paperwork.

Required Forms:

UCSC Post Travel Expense form

UCSC Payee Setup Request 204 form
**Please note: the "Electronic Funds Transfer Authorization" form is optional. This form allows your reimbursement to be automatically deposited into your personal bank account. If you do not fill this form out, a paper check will be mailed to your specified address.**

Below are the detailed instructions for filling out the UCSC post travel form. Please review these instructions carefully and contact us if you have questions.

Please submit forms and ORIGINAL receipts to:

Center for Adaptive Optics
UC Santa Cruz
ATTN: Karen Peña
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

If you have any questions, please contact:
Karen Peña at or (831) 459-5711


• If you have not previously been reimbursed by UC Santa Cruz or have changed your mailing address, you will need to fill out a Payee Setup Form 204. This form allows the accounting system to cut you a check, so if you are not sure that we have a current Form 204 for you, fill out and submit another one.
• Be sure to SIGN your post travel form before you submit it.


Fill in your name, email, mailing address, phone number, travel destination, purpose of travel, and departure and return dates/times. (Note: The mailing address must match the address on the Form 204 – this is the address to which your reimbursement check will be mailed.)


• US Citizen: Please Mark Yes or No
• Foreign: Visa Type – please fill in Visa type and see below for additional requirements:
Resident Aliens (holders of Green Cards): You must attach a copy of your Green Card.
Foreign Visitors (holders of B-1, B-2, WB, WT, J-1, F-1 and H1B Visas):
• A copy of the foreign visitor’s I-94 record and the signature page of your passport are required.
• A Certification Of Academic Activity form is required for B-1, B-2, WB and WT visas.
• Are you a UC Student or Employee? Be sure to note this before you turn in your forms.

Insert expenditure amounts and the dates they were incurred. Include all expenditures associated with the travel, even if the University paid the expense on your behalf – these expenses will automatically be deducted from the bottom-line total.
• Roundtrip airfare can be entered in full on the date of departure.
• Include an explanation under Comments to further detail each expenditure.
• Personal car mileage should be entered in miles driven in the gray row. The program will automatically
calculate the rate. Do not enter a value in the row immediately below the mileage row. Note: this rate includes the cost of gasoline. When a personal vehicle is used in lieu of air travel to the same
destination, the lesser of the following costs will be reimbursed:
• Airfare plus transportation costs to and from the airport or,
• Automobile mileage cost plus cost of meals, lodging and parking while in transit.
• Meals and Incidentals (M&IE) are actual expenses, up to the allowance listed. The daily allowance is a maximum allowance, and is not an entitlement. Since meals will be provided during the Summer School, we will only reimburse the meals you purchase on your travel days.

** ALCOHOL is NOT reimbursable on a post travel form. If you submit a receipt with alcohol charges, the amount spent on alcohol will be subtracted from the total and you will only be reimbursed you for the meal. **

• UCSC Students and Employees: Travel Advance Request paperwork must be filled out BEFORE
you travel. Costs such as Airfare, Registration Fees & Lodging can be paid in advance of the trip and
will need to be accounted for in this section of your post travel form. Please contact CfAO
details; supervisor signatures are required.
• For Non-UCSC Travelers: Indicate any and all expenses made by your institution on your behalf.
Prior approval by CfAO is REQUIRED! If your institution wants to make certain payments
for you in advance, please contact CfAO for more information. Expenses paid by your institution are NOT reimbursable directly to you.


It is the traveler’s responsibility to properly account for all travel by obtaining and submitting original
receipts. **Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable.**

Original itemized receipts are REQUIRED for:
• Airfare Costs: e-tickets and e-receipts ARE an acceptable form of receipt. e-itineraries or
other forms of itineraries from the airline are NOT ACCEPTABLE. The receipt must show
proof of payment. Also, **you must fly with a US Carrier**.
• Misc. Expenses: baggage fees or other transportation related expense.
• *Rental Car (see below for further details). Renting a car requires prior approval.


• Car Rental Instructions for University of California academics and staff:
The University of California will not reimburse for added car insurance when you rent a car, so if you don't
personally have insurance that covers car rentals, the University has negotiated car rental agreements
with several car rental companies that include insurance. University agreements cover any damage
sustained by the rental vehicle and provide increased liability coverage. In order to be covered you must
identify yourself as a University employee and provide the applicable UC ID#.

• Car Rental Instructions for Non-University of California employees:
Check with your institution for their rental car rates and policies. Use your institution's rental car
agreements if possible to ensure the best rates and coverage. If your institution does not have a car
rental agreement, and you do not have personal insurance that covers car rentals, non-UC employees
should accept Liability (LDW) and Collision (CDW) Damage Waiver insurance ONLY when renting a
vehicle. Please note that car rental companies will offer you many different types of insurance, which
you should decline. We can only reimburse for Liability and Collision insurance.

If you have any questions, please contact:
Karen Peña at or (831) 459-5711