2012 UC CfAO FALL SCIENCE RETREAT and WORKSHOPS
Fall Science Retreat
Thursday, November 1 - Sunday, November 4
Dr. George Waring, IV
Laser Technology and Systems for Astronomical Adaptive Optics Workshop
Sunday, November 4 - Monday, November 5
Project Management Workshop
Friday, November 2 & Saturday, November 3
UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference Center and Resort
Lake Arrowhead, California
Registration is closed. If you have any questions, please contact the CfAO.
THE SCIENCE RETREAT
The Fall Science Retreat provides Center members, affiliates, industry partners, and invitees with a forum for sharing their current research results and for planning collaborations. It also provides a wonderful opportunity for informal interactions. Adaptive Optics topics on the agenda will include Astronomical AO (both AO for Extremely Large Telescopes and Extreme Adaptive Optics); AO Systems for Solar Astronomy; AO for Vision Science and Biological Imaging; and other innovative areas within the scope of Adaptive Optics and its applications. Both AO technologies and AO science will be discussed. Topical areas that may be covered include:
• Vision Science with AO
• Astronomical science with AO: Solar Systems , Galactic, Extragalactic
• Clinical application of AO in medicine
• Microscopy with AO
• AO systems and science for Solar Astronomy
• Image processing & post-processing for astronomy and vision science
• AO component technologies: deformable mirrors, wavefront sensors, …
• Wavefront control simulations and software
• AO for the Extreme UV and X-ray
Registrants are strongly encouraged to participate in the retreat with presentations or posters. Please send your talk or poster title to Leslie Ward: email@example.com
THE LASER WORKSHOP
The discussion will be focused on the issues of producing artificial beacons in the sodium mesosphere for large aperture ground-based telescopes. Topics of interest will include (but are not limited to):
• Sodium return modeling and measurements
• Theory of pulsed sodium excitation, preferable laser formats
• Measurement standards (photometry, receiver filters, number of measurements and averaging, normalizing for latitude and seasonal variation, etc.)
• On-telescope commissioning experience
• Approaches to laser beam transport
• Laser safety systems, aircraft and satellite predictive avoidance measures, coordination with aviation and space authorities
• Reports from laser suppliers.
THE PROJECT MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP
This workshop, designed to introduce newcomers to managing projects, including project planning, project tracking, risk management, and contingency management, is suitable for anyone newly charged with managing a multi-person effort. Participants will work in small teams to develop a project plan and will get feedback to learn how well the project was planned.
EVENT DATES & TIMES
• Retreat participants arrive: Thursday, November 1. Retreat registration and check-in begins at 3:00pm.
• Laser workshop-only invitees arrive: Sunday, November 4. Workshop registration and check-in begins at 11:00 AM.
• Retreat participants depart: Sunday, November 4, after lunch.
• Laser workshop-only participants depart: Monday, November 5 in the afternoon.
CONFERENCE CENTER DIRECTIONS & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
LOCATION & DRIVING DIRECTIONS
The UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference Center and Resort is 101 miles from Los Angeles (two hours) and about 50 miles from the Ontario Airport (1.25 hours). Please visit the Lake Arrowhead website for a map and directions.
The closest airport is the Ontario Airport (ONT). Southwest Airlines offers many direct flights. An alternate airport is the Orange County Airport (SNA), a 1 hour 40 minute drive to Lake Arrowhead. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is a 2-hour drive to Lake Arrowhead.
The Super Shuttle will take you to Lake Arrowhead from the Ontario Airport. The rates and rules have changed from previous years. The cost is $162 each way for up to 9 passengers. So whether you are traveling alone, or in a group of 2 or 9 people, you will pay the same rate. The cost from the Los Angeles Airport to Lake Arrowhead is $225 each way for up to 9 passengers. RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE, so please book online, or by telephone at 1-800-258-3826 after you have your travel group assembled. **Please note: the Super Shuttle does NOT service The Orange County Airport**
If you plan on driving to Lake Arrowhead from the airport, we suggest scheduling your flight with other attendees so that you can share a ride.
A ride sharing page has been created to help you facilitate coordination of rides to and from Lake Arrowhead, California. Please note: this is for participant use; CfAO staff will generally not be coordinating transportation.
COSTS AND FEES
The registration fee to attend just the Laser Workshop is $175 plus room and board. The registration fee for just the Retreat or the Retreat and the Laser Workshop is $375 plus room and board.
Lodging at the Lake Arrowhead Center is on a first-come, first-served basis, so please register early if you want to stay onsite. If the Lake Arrowhead Center is full when you register, we will direct you to alternative lodging at nearby hotels. It is preferable for everyone to stay onsite to allow for more opportunities for information and exchange and collaboration.
ROOMING OPTIONS AND RATES
• Double-occupancy room and board rate is $205 per day. These are very nice 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartments with a shared parlor and fireplace. Most have decks with views.
• Single-occupancy room and board rate is $235 per day. A very limited number of single-occupancy rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Special UC graduate student ONLY double-occupancy room and board rate is $102.50 per day.
**Important note for grad students and postdocs: All grad students and postdocs are requested to register for double-occupancy apartments only.**
• Non-participating spouse/partner room and board rate is $130 per day.
PARTICIPANTS WISHING TO STAY OFFSITE
A limited number of participants may stay offsite, though you must purchase a three-meal package. Three wonderful meals are provided for $100 per day. Eating offsite is permitted, of course, but you will still be required to purchase the meal package. Cost for the three-meal package: $100
If the Lake Arrowhead Center is full or you would prefer to stay offsite, here are some suggested alternatives (reservations highly recommended):
Lake Arrowhead Resort
Fleur de Lac
For additional suggestions, please contact the Lake Arrowhead Chamber of Commerce.
**IMPORTANT: The Main Lodge of the Lake Arrowhead Center closes at midnight. If you plan to arrive after midnight, please email the CfAO Main Office. Late arrivals are noted on the rooming list so that a key, flashlight, and directions to your room can be provided. If you have notified us about your late arrival, your room key and map will be waiting for you in an envelope located to the right of the Main Lodge front door, in a black mailbox.
TRAVEL EXPENSES AND ASSISTANCE
You are expected to use your own external funding to cover your travel expenses (plane, rental car, etc.). A very limited amount of travel assistance is available for special hardship cases. Please apply by completing the appropriate section on the registration form.
A cancellation fee of 5% of the total credit card charge will be applied to all refunds requested through October 1. No refunds will be given starting October 2, 2012 because after that date, CfAO will still be charged the full cost of your room for the reserved number of days. Thank you for your understanding regarding this policy.
REGISTRATION & PAYMENT PROCEDURE
Registration is now closed. If you have any questions, please contact the CfAO.
If you would like to help with session planning, please contact the CfAO. Follow our progress on the Fall Retreat blog.