| || ||
CfAO Fall Science Retreat 2009
**Photos from 2009**
Thursday, November 5 - Sunday, November 8
UCLA Conference Center
850 Willow Creek Road
Lake Arrowhead California, 92352
The Fall Retreat provides Center members and invitees
with a forum for sharing their current research results, for planning
collaborations, and for informal interactions. This, the final NSF-funded retreat, will include a look back at the last 10 years of accomplishments and forward to future applications of Adaptive Optics. AO topics on the agenda will be based on the Themes: Extremely Large Telescopes, Extreme Adaptive Optics and Vision Science.
As in previous years, there will be a two-day Laser Workshop (November 8 & 9) immediately following the retreat. The workshop in Laser Technology and Systems for Astronomy is designed to foster information exchange between laser system developers for astronomy and scientists studying the interaction of the mesospheric sodium with laser light. Because space is limited, this workshop is by invitation only. Click here for more information on the workshop. Invitees please contact Don Gavel at email@example.com or 831-459-5464.
DATE & TIME
- Arrival: Thursday, 5 November
* Poster Set-Up: (Register to bring a poster. Be sure to include the title.)
* Late afternoon wine and beer reception
* Dinner and an evening session
- Departure: Sunday, 8 November after lunch
- Laser Technology & Systems for Astronomy Workshop (By invitation only. Contact Don Gavel)
Sunday and Monday, November 8 & 9
The purpose of the workshop is to continue to foster information interchange between laser users and laser developers, to discuss the challenging problems or limitations in laser performance, and to create potential collaborations. For more details please see the Laser Workshop 2009.
Registration is open through Friday October 2, 2009. Registration for the Fall Reteat is by Invitation Only. An invitation will be emailed to you and will contain a special link FOR YOU ONLY. Do not forward your link to anyone else; due to the mechanics of the system, their registration will override and eliminate yours. If you feel someone was omitted from the invitation list, please contact CfAO as soon as possible.
CONFERENCE CENTER DIRECTIONS & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
The UCLA Conference Center (located at Lake Arrowhead, California) is only 90 mostly freeway miles from Los Angeles (two hours) and one and a half hours from Orange County.
• Driving Directions from Southern California
• Driving Directions from the Ontario Airport
The closest airport is the Ontario Airport (ONT), a 90-minute drive to Lake
Arrowhead. Southwest Airlines offers many direct flights.
An alternate airport is the Orange County Airport (SNA), a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive
to Lake Arrowhead. (Please see note below about transportation from the Orange County Airport.)
The Super Shuttle will take you to the UCLA Conference Center from the Ontario Airport. If possible, please book your shuttle
with others, as the cost is much less with each person that travels on the Shuttle.
For example, the cost is $97 each way for the first person from the Ontario Airport
to the UCLA Conference Center, and $9 for each person thereafter. RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE, so please book online, or by telephone: 1-800-258-3826 once you have your travel group assembled. (If you do not have a group, but would still like to use shuttle services, call the team at Super Shuttle, and let them know you will be attending our Retreat. They may be able to group you with other Fall Retreat attendees.)
**Please note: the Super Shuttle has changed it rates! The Orange County Airport is $200+ this year, so please contact CfAO if you MUST fly into or out of the Orange County Airport**
Driving from the airport? Please schedule your flight with another attendee so that you can share a ride. If you need assistance
finding a carpool partner, please email the CfAO Main Office for a list of other attendees in your area. (CfAO Members: please click here for more information about reimbursement rules when renting a car.)
If you have questions, please contact the CfAO Main Office by email or by calling 831-459-5711.
Information for CfAO Members
All CfAO Members will be housed at the UCLA Conference Center
Check-in Date: Thursday, November 5th
Check-in Time: 3:00 PM
Check-out Date: Sunday, November 8th (EXCEPT those invited to the Laser Workshop)
Check-out Time: Noon
You will be assigned a room in a 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment
Please contact CfAO for availability.
The Main Lodge of the UCLA Conference Center closes at Midnight. **IMPORTANT**: Please email the CfAO Main Office and let us know if you will arrive after Midnight. Late arrivals need to be
noted on the rooming list so that a key and directions to your room can be provided.
If you have notified us about your late arrival, your key and conference center map
will be waiting for you in an envelope located to the right of the Main Lodge
front door, in a black mailbox.
Travel Reimbursement Information
• CfAO Post Travel Expense Form (Excel Version)
• CfAO Post Travel Expense Form (.pdf Version)
• Instructions for filling out PTF
• 204 Form
• EXAMPLE: CfAO Post Travel Expense Form
Required for all CfAO Members (attending a US Institution) who wish to be reimbursed for travel expenses:
- You must always fill out and SIGN a POST TRAVEL EXPENSE FORM.
- If you have not previously been reimbursed by UC Santa Cruz, or have changed your mailing address, you must fill out a PAYMENT DATA RECORD form STD 204. This form allows the accounting system to cut a check to you. If you are in doubt, fill it out.
- Resident Aliens (holders of Green Cards): You MUST attach a copy of your Green Card.
- Foreign Visitors (holders of B-1, B-2, WB, WT, J-1, F-1 and H1B Visas) - Additional Requirements:
- Copy of your I-94 record and a copy of the signature page of your passport is required.
- A CERTIFICATION OF ACADEMIC ACTIVITY form is required for B-1, B-2, WB and WT visas.
- We will reimburse you for your travel costs. For those who are flying, we will reimburse the round trip airfare and the cost of ground transportation from the airport to the UCLA Conference Center.
- Flight ticket reimbursement requirements: You must fly on a US carrier. You are expected to find the most inexpensive flight.
- Personal vehicle reimbursement requirements: If you use your own car, you will be reimbursed at the rate of $.55 per mile, not to exceed the cost of the equivalent value of air travel.
- Reimbursement forms will also be available at the Retreat. Remember to include all original receipts when you turn in your reimbursement forms.
NO TRAVEL PACKAGE DEALS WILL BE ACCEPTED
YOU MUST PURCHASE AIRFARE, GROUND TRANSPORATION, HOTEL, ETC. SEPARATELY. Retain all required itemized receipts to submit with your travel reimbursement request.
- Original itemized receipts are required for reimbursement of airfare, lodging, rental cars, etc.
- Electronic receipts are acceptable as long as the detail provided is sufficient to substantiate the expense.
- Reimbursement of ticket-less or e-ticket airfare expenses require that the traveler submit a copy of the e-receipt, a written receipt obtained at the airport, or a passenger receipt coupon showing the total charged and paid balance.
- An original, itimized lodging receipt (folio) is required. If lodging is purchased via the web, include a copy of the e-receipt and the original folio you receive after your stay.
- Photocopies of receipts are not an acceptable substitute for original receipts.
If you have questions, please contact the CfAO Main Office
at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-459-5592.
Information for Industry Participants
Unfortunately, the CfAO Fall Retreat is so popular that all 130 rooms at the UCLA Conference Center have been filled. Below are local hotel options near the Conference Center. If rooms become available at the UCLA Conference Center, Industry participants will be contacted.
Meals will be provided by the CfAO.
Lake Arrowhead Chamber of Commerce
Lake Arrowhead Resort
Arrowhead Tree Top Lodge