AO Summer School
The 13th Annual Summer School on Adaptive Optics will once again be held on the beautiful University of California, Santa Cruz campus. We encourage all participants to stay on campus in the student apartments while you attend the daily presentations. Please read through the following information carefully and contact us if you have any questions.
Instruction begins on Sunday, August 5. Please be sure to follow the Check-in procedures below. All participants and instructors, including those staying off-campus, must check-in at the College 9/10 Central Conference Office upon arrival. At check-in, you will sign a housing roster, obtain room keys, meal cards, and parking permits.
Check-in times and office hours at the College 9/10 Central Conference Office:
• Saturday, August 4 from 7:00am - 8:00pm
• Sunday, August 5 from 7:00am - 10:00pm
• Monday, August 6 - Friday, August 10 from 7:00am - 8:00pm
Late Arrivals / Flight Delays
The UCSC campus is difficult to navigate after dark. We recommend arriving during daylight hours. **If your flight is delayed and you will be arriving at campus later than expected, please call the Conference Office: (831) 502-7004.**
If you know that you will be arriving between 8:00pm and 2:00am, email or call us at (831) 459-5592 by Thursday, July 26 as special arrangements are required. Participants arriving after 8:00pm will be stopped upon entering the campus by the kiosk attendant who will direct you to College 9/10 where you will be staying. A Community Safety Officer (CSO) will meet you and unlock the door to your room. The next day, you MUST officially check-in at the conference office at 7:00am to sign in, receive keys, parking permits, etc. Please note: Participants arriving after 2:00am will be stopped at the university entrance kiosk and will be requested to make arrangements at a nearby hotel.
If you know that you will be arriving between 8:00pm and 2:00am, email or call us at (831) 459-5592 by Thursday, July 26 as special arrangements are required. Participants arriving after 10:00pm will be stopped upon entering the campus by the kiosk attendant who will direct you to College 9/10 where you will be staying. A Community Safety Officer (CSO) will meet you and unlock the door to your room. The next day, you MUST officially check-in at the conference office at 7:00am to sign in, receive keys, parking permits, etc. Please note: Participants arriving after 2:00am will be stopped at the university entrance kiosk and will be requested to make arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Room keys, parking permits and meal cards will be handed out upon check-in at the Conference Office. Do not lose your room key or meal card. Replacement room keys are $75 and will be the responsibility of the participant. Please contact the Conference Office right away if you lose your key or meal card.
• Participants staying on-campus will be housed in student apartments. These four-bedroom suites have shared common areas - a living and dining room, a kitchen, and a bathroom. All beds are twin-sized. If you have a single room you will have one twin-sized bed in your room. If you choose a double room, there will be two twin-sized beds. The apartments contain few amenities and we recommend bringing your own alarm clock and personal toiletries. Bed linens, two towels and a washcloth will be provided. Additional linens, blankets and towels are available at the Conference Office.
• A telephone connection is located in the bedroom of each apartment with free campus and local call access. Long distance calls require a credit card or phone card (phone cards are NOT available for purchase on campus). Some, but not all, cellular telephones function on the campus. Please check with your carrier to verify coverage.
• Though there is a complimentary Ethernet connection in each apartment, you must bring your own Ethernet cord! Ethernet cords are also available for purchase at the Baytree Bookstore.
• The Conference Office offers complimentary limited email access for conference guests. Please see Conference Office staff members for details/locations.
• International Students: if you are bringing your own electrical appliances, please bring a power converter and plug adapter that works for the United States' electrical system.
• Laundry: Machines are located in either the basement or first floor of residential hall clusters. There is one laundry room per apartment cluster as well. Machines are card-operated and can be loaded with cash or credit card. Please see the Conference Office for more details.
(Only Faculty/Staff, Industry/Educational Participants & Invited Lecturers are eligible to stay off-campus.)
• If you are considering staying off-campus, please go to Lodging & Directions for several recommended hotels.
• If choosing to stay off-campus, you must still check-in at the Conference Center. You will receive your parking permit and your meal tickets for the week if you purchased them during registration. Parking on-campus is extremely limited and a parking permit IS required for all vehicles to park on-campus. Arrive early to avoid frustration and a parking ticket.
All vehicles parked on campus require a parking permit at ALL times. Participants with vehicles will receive a parking permit upon check-in. (For participants staying on-campus: the cost of the permit is included in your lodging costs. For participants staying off-campus: the cost is $35. (Be sure to request a permit when you register.) Parking for conferences is limited to specific lots and may not be near the lecture hall. We encourage all participants to carpool or take commuter shuttles whenever possible. Participants who do not park in designated parking areas will receive a parking ticket. Payment of parking tickets is the responsibility of the participant.
Provided meals begin with dinner on Sunday, August 5 and go through lunch on Friday, August 10 (unless you have added an extra night's lodging, which would include Friday's dinner through lunch on Saturday, August 11) at the College 9/10 Dining Commons. The hours are:
Breakfast: 7:30am to 8:15am
Lunch: 12:30pm to 1:15pm
Dinner: 6:00pm to 6:45pm
Please note that these are the assigned dining times for our conference; please be sure to arrive on time. Meal cards or tickets will be issued to you when you check-in. Please do not lose these. Replacement meal cards are $10 and will be the responsibility of the participant.
Check-out is Friday, Aug 10 at 1:00pm (unless you registered to stay an extra night in your room). All participants are required to sign a check-out roster and return keys and meal cards prior to leaving campus. Keys and meal cards not returned at check-out are your responsibility. Cost for a lost room key is $75. Cost for a lost meal card is $10. Please note: special arrangements must be made in advance for participants that need to check-out before 7:00am. Please see the College 9/10 Conference Office for more details.
General Information about Staying on the UC Campus
COLLEGE 9/10 CENTRAL CONFERENCE OFFICE
HOURS: 7:00am - 8:00pm SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
PHONE: (831) 502-7004
LOCATION: College 9, Residential Hall 2 (Gandhi)
UCSC General Campus Map
• Dining options (meals are provided, but if you are looking for a snack, here is a list of places that are open on campus.)
• Facilities and Services open during the summer.
• Libraries (both libraries have computers with internet access to check email, etc.)
• The office is staffed with student Conference Assistants who coordinate check-ins, and check-outs, and are a resource for routine information and services.
• Telephone Messages: dial 9 before the number for on-campus calls, 6 before the number for off-campus calls.
• Conference attendees may give the Conference Office telephone number (831) 502-7004, to family members for emergency messages only. A Conference Office staff member will be available for messages from 7:00am-10:00pm daily, and the staff will make every attempt to deliver emergency messages as soon as possible. If you need to reach a participant after 10:00pm please call Campus Dispatch at (831) 459-4861. Emergency messages only will be taken after hours and will be routed to the Campus Police Department. Please dial 911 for all life and safety emergencies.
Medical Services – There are no urgent medical services available on campus. Please contact the Conference Office immediately if you need medical assistance, and for emergencies, please dial 911.
• Santa Cruz Medical Urgent Care – located at 1203 Mission Street, Santa Cruz.
Phone: (831) 458-6310
• Dominican Hospital (24-hour emergency care) – 1555 Soquel Drive, Santa Cruz
Phone General: (831) 462-7700
Campus Safety & Security
• UC Santa Cruz maintains full-time police and fire departments on campus, both of which can respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis. Non-emergency calls can be made to 831-459-4856. For emergencies dial 911.
• There are several "blue light" phones at various locations for emergency calls directed to campus police.
• Only those on University business, or guests of the University, are allowed on campus after 8:00pm. Kiosk attendants at both campus entrances stop all vehicles.
• Community Safety Officers (CSO's) patrol campus each evening from 7:15pm to 2:45am. They provide safety escorts between locations for guests, ensure building security and assist participants with lock-outs after regular office hours on a nightly basis. If you are in need of a CSO's assistance (and the Conference Office has closed for the evening), please call campus dispatch at (831) 459-2100. If calling from a University phone please dial 9-2100.
• UCSC assumes no responsibility for a participant's personal property. We request that expensive items not be left in the apartments or meeting rooms. Please report suspicious behavior to the Conference Office or call University Police.
• Illegal drugs, fireworks, explosives, and all weapons are prohibited on the UCSC campus. Alcoholic beverages are permitted in apartments only and are not permitted in any areas occupied by youth programs at any time.
• Please do not approach or attempt to feed any wildlife on campus. Dogs and other pets are prohibited.
• Quiet hours are in effect campus-wide from 10:00pm - 8:00am.