AO Summer School
The 12th Annual Summer School on Adaptive Optics will once again be held on the UC Santa Cruz campus. We encourage everyone to stay on campus in the student apartments while you attend the daily presentations. Please read through the following information carefully and contact us if you have any questions.
Instruction begins on Sunday, August 7. Please be sure to follow the Check-in procedure below. All participants, including those staying off-campus, and instructors, must check-in at the Central Conference Office upon arrival. At check-in guests sign a housing roster, obtain room keys, meal cards, and parking permits.
Official check-in times at the College 9/10 Central Conference Office:
• Sunday, August 7 from 7:00am - 10:00pm
• Monday, August 8 - Friday, August 12 from 7:00am - 8:00pm
Late Arrivals / Flight Delays
The UCSC campus is difficult to navigate after nightfall. We recommend arriving during daylight hours. **If your flight is delayed and you will be arriving to campus later than expected, please call the Conference Office: (831) 502-7004. They are open until 10:00pm on Sunday, August 7 and will be able to assist you.**
If you know that you will be arriving between 8:00pm and 2:00am, email or call us at (831) 459-5592 by Thursday, July 28; special arrangements are required. Participants arriving after 8:00pm will be stopped upon entering the campus by kiosk attendants who will help direct you to College 9/10 where you will be staying. A Community Safety Officer (CSO) will meet you and unlock the door to your room. You MUST officially check-in at the conference office at 7:00am the next day to sign in, receive keys, parking permits, etc. Please note: Guests arriving after 2:00am will be stopped at the University entrance kiosk and requested to make arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Room keys, parking permits and mealcards will be handed out upon check-in at the Conference Office. Do not loose your room key or meal card. Replacement room keys are $75 and will be the responsibility of the participant. Please contact the Conference Office right away if you loose your key or meal card.
• Participants staying on-campus will be housed in student apartments. These four-bedroom suites share common areas - living and dining room, kitchen and bathroom. All beds are twin size. If you have a single room you will have 1 twin size bed in your room. If you chose a double room, there will be 2 twin size beds. The apartments contain few amenities and we recommend bringing your own alarm clock and personal toiletries. Bed linens, 2 towels and a washcloth will be provided.
• A telephone connection is located in the bedroom of each apartment with free campus and local call access. Long distance calls require a credit card or phone card (phone cards are NOT available for purchase on campus). Some, but not all, cellular telephones function on the campus. Please check with your carrier to verify coverage.
• There is a complimentary Ethernet connection in each apartment. You must bring your own Ethernet cord! Ethernet cords are available for purhcase at the Baytree Bookstore.
The Conference Office offers complimentary limited email access for conference guests. Please see conference office staff members for details/locations.
• International Students: if you are bringing your own electrical appliances, please bring a power converter and plug adapter that works for the United States' electrical system.
• Laundry: Machines are located in either the basement or first floor of residential hall clusters. There is one laundry room per apartment cluster as well. Machines are card-operated and can be loaded with cash or credit card. Please see the Conference Office for more details.
(Only Faculty/Staff, Industry/Educational Participants & Invited Lecturers are eligible to stay off-campus.)
• If you are considering staying off-campus, please go to Lodging & Directions for several hotels that may offer UC Santa Cruz discounts.
• Those choosing to stay off-campus will still need to check-in at the Conference Center. You will receive your parking permit and your meal tickets for the week if you purchased them during registration. Parking on-campus is extremely limited and a parking permit IS requied for all vehicles to park on-campus. Arrive early to avoid frustration and a parking ticket.
All vehicles parked on campus require a parking permit at ALL times. Participants with vehicles will receive a parking permit upon check-in. (For participants staying on-campus: the cost of the permit is included in your lodging costs. For participants staying off-campus: the cost is $35. (Be sure to note that you will need a permit when you register.) Parking for conferences is limited to specific lots and may not be near the lecture hall. We encourage all participants to carpool or take commuter shuttles whenever possible. Participants who do not park in designated parking areas will receive a parking ticket. Payment of parking tickets is the responsibility of the participant.
Meals provided begin with dinner on Sunday, August 7 and go through lunch on Friday, August 12 (unless you have added an extra night's lodging, which would include Friday's dinner through lunch on Saturday) at College 9/10 Dining Commons. The hours are:
Breakfast: 7:30am to 8:15am
Lunch: 12:30pm to 1:15pm
Dinner: 5:45pm to 6:30pm
Please note that these are the assigned dining times for our participants; please be sure to arrive on time. Meal cards or tickets will be issued to you when you check-in. Please do not lose these. Replacement meal cards are $10 and will be the responsibility of the participant.
All participants are required to sign a check-out roster and return keys and meals cards prior to leaving campus. Keys and meal cards not returned at check-out are your responsibility. Cost for a lost room key is $75. Cost for a lost meal card is $10, so please don't loose them. Please note: special arrangements must be made in advance for participants that need to check-out before 7:00am. Please see the College 9/10 Conference Office for more details.
COLLEGE 9/10 CENTRAL CONFERENCE OFFICE
HOURS: 7:00am - 8:00pm SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
PHONE: (831) 502-7004
LOCATION: College 9, Residential Hall 2 (Gandhi)
UCSC General Campus Map
• Dining options (meals are provided, but if you are looking for a snack, here is a list of places that are open on-campus.)
• Facilities and Services open during the summer
• Libraries (both libraries have computers with internet access to check email, etc.)
• The office is staffed with student Conference Assistants who coordinate check-ins, check-outs, and are a resource for routine information and services.
• Telephone Messages (dial 9 before the number for on-campus calls/6 before the number for off-campus calls)
• Conference attendees may give the Conference Office telephone number (831) 502-7004, to family members for emergency messages only. A Conference Office staff member will be available for messages from 7:00am-10:00pm daily, and the staff will make every attempt to deliver emergency messages as soon as possible. If you need to reach a conferee after 10:00pm please call Campus Dispatch at (831) 459-4861. Emergency messages only will be taken after hours and will be routed to the Campus Police Department. Please dial 911 for all life and safety emergencies.
Medical Services – There is no urgent medical service available on campus. Please contact us immediately if you need medical assistance and for emergencies, please dial 911.
Campus Safety & Security
• UC Santa Cruz maintains a full-time police and fire department on campus, which can respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis. Non-emergency calls can be made to 831-459-4856. For emergencies dial 911.
• There are several "blue light" phones at various locations for emergency calls directed to campus police.
• Only those on University business, or guests of the University, are allowed on campus after 8:00pm. Kiosk attendants at both campus entrances stop all vehicles.
• Community Safety Officers (CSO's) patrol campus each evening from 7:15pm to 2:45am. They provide safety escorts between locations for guests, ensure building security and assist participants with lock-outs after regular office hours on a nightly basis. If you are in need of a CSO's assistance (and the Conference Office has closed for the evening), please call campus dispatch at (831) 459-2100. If calling from a University phone please dial 9-2100.
• UCSC assumes no responsibility for a participant's personal property. We request that expensive items not be left in the apartments or meeting rooms. Please report suspicious behavior to the Conference Office or call University Police.
• Illegal drugs, fireworks, explosives, and all weapons are prohibited on the UCSC campus. Alcoholic beverages are permitted in apartments only and are not permitted in any areas occupied by youth programs at any time.
• Please do not approach or attempt to feed any wildlife on campus. Dogs and other pets are prohibited.
• Quiet hours are in effect campus-wide from 10:00pm - 8:00am.